I am pleased to announce that within the next couple of months, the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville (UCLG) Social Services and Housing Departments are initiating a Community Engagement Strategy at three housing locations. Mountainview Manor on Bedford St in Westport is one of them. This collaborative new project aims for early conflict resolution and improving coordination and access to services.
A new position is being created, a Housing Case Manager. This person will be dedicated to these three buildings, bringing an in-depth knowledge of social housing and issues arising within the buildings. The Housing Case Manager will use his/her experience, leadership and excellent communication skills working with tenants and community partners to improve/develop:
- Enhance tenant relations and communication
- Promote collective responsibility in ensuring a safe environment
- Increase participation by tenants in resolving building issues
- Raise confidence of tenants so that they will come forward with their issues
- Educate about the process in dealing with behaviours; get to know who to call in the community, and what they can do when there is an issue
- More efficient service delivery and communication between agencies.
- Improve public perception of “social housing” buildings.
Community partners committed to working with tenants, Social Services and the Housing Department are:
- Lanark, Leeds and Grenville Addictions and Mental Health
- Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit
- Country Roads Community Health Centre
- Leeds OPP
- Victim Services
- Upper Canada Family Health Team
The goal of this strategy is to create a welcoming and positive environment for tenants where they can meet one another to plan, build and grow together. The participation of community partners will provide opportunities to access other supports and services. To be successful, the Community Engagement Strategy could use our support. Perhaps community members and groups can consider how to support the tenants and community partners and help make this strategy a success. I will keep you posted on its progress.
Call anytime – 9195.